Plain Coconut Water, on left and Probiotic Coconut Water or Coconut Water Kefir, on right
- Coconut water from 2-3 fresh young green Thai coconuts
- 100% coconut water, 1L or 33.8 ounces from a carton not in a can
- Live Water Kefir Grains
- Sterilized bottle(s)
- Sterilize glass bottles large enough to hold the coconut water. I recycle sparkling or Spring water bottles for this purpose. To sterilize, bring a large pan of water to a vigorous boil, gently add bottle(s) and boil at least 5 minutes. Use tongs to remove sterilized bottle(s).
- Cool sterilized bottles. Add some water kefir grains to each bottle. Fill bottles 3/4th the way full with room temperature coconut water, filling the bottles too full may cause them to overflow when opening after fermentation. Leave on the counter for 24 hours or longer. Fermentation is complete within 24-72 hours.
- You can leave the kefir out indefinitely or refrigerate it when it is done fermenting. Enjoy cold or add to health smoothies and shakes. For flavored kefir, add fresh squeezed fruit juice. If the kefir is too sour for you then add 100% liquid Stevia drops to sweeten to taste.
- HOW TO CUT OPEN A COCONUT: place coconut on ground or on a sturdy counter. Hold firmly on its side with pointy end facing away from knife hand. Shave off green outer husk at pointy end until a few inches shows bare at the top. Saw off top half inch of white inner coconut meat, using a knife or a machete while rotating coconut as you cut to prevent coconut water from leaking out.
NOTE: Water kefir grains need no refrigeration and unlike Kombucha, Kefir culture requires no heating or cooking in it’s production.
ORDER LIVE WATER KEFIR GRAINS AT ANAHATA BALANCE
HEALTHY HINTS & QUICK TIPS
DID YOU KNOW? About 80 percent of your immune system is located within your digestive tract. The friendly, symbiotic bacteria inhabiting our digestive tract dictate our overall good health. Eat foods containing prebiotics and probiotics so healthy intestinal microflora thrive.
Pasteurization kills most of the probiotics in commercially sold yogurt and kefir. Before refrigeration and pasteurization, fermentation was one of the main methods of preserving food. Fermented foods are loaded with healthy bacteria or probiotics.
When you add water kefir grains to coconut water, fermentation takes place. Fermentation eats up the natural sugar and produces probiotics, making kefir’s health benefits superior to plain coconut water.
Similar to dairy kefir grains, water kefir grains or kefir crystals have probiotic strains of lactobacilli, streptococci-lactococci, acetobacter, and also beneficial yeasts.
Dairy products increase inflammation and cause the production of excess mucus in your sinus cavities and lungs. Mucus gives a place for bacteria and viruses to reside and breed. Eliminating dairy from you diet may cause your sinus and allergy problems to “magically” disappear. It’s worth a try anyway. Get your probiotics from non-dairy sources for 2 weeks. Watch for symptoms when you reintroduce dairy into your diet.
Symptoms: stuffy nose, runny nose, sinus pressure, facial tenderness, sinus headaches, postnasal drip, shortness of breath, wheezing, and coughing.
[contact-form] [contact-field label="Name" type="name" required="true" /] [contact-field label="Email" type="email" required="true" /] [contact-field label="Website" type="url" /] [contact-field label="Comment" type="textarea" required="true" /] [/contact-form]